February in Iceland

Quick facts about the weather and daylight in February

Average temperature: 0.29°C /  32.52°F
Average hours of sunlight: 57
Average of lowest and highest recorded temperature in February: Low -9.88°C / 14,22°F –  High 7.81°C / 46.06°F
Length of day on February 1st: 7 hours and 8 minutes

A friend of mine once said that the best thing about February in Iceland is how short it is. The country is still in full on winter mode and harsh winter storms are still quite common. I actually like February for many different reasons, one of which my birthday. So maybe I’m a bit biased when I say it’s not that terrible.

Although the locals will probably ask you why on earth you would want to visit Iceland in February I, on the other hand, think it’s a great month to visit if you want to experience a real Nordic winter. There’s just something about the darkness, the harsh weather and the atmosphere that makes it different from most of which you are probably used to from home. But to really experience what I’m talking about you have to go out of the city and off the main tourist trails.

A good thing about traveling to Reykjavík in February are all the events that take place in the city during this month. The city is finally out of its Christmas hangover phase and the winter lights festival reminds us that the darkness also has its perks: pretty lights. February is also considered one of the best months of the year to gaze at the Northern Lights so that’s a definite plus.

Because of all the events and festivals, Reykjavík attracts quite a few visitors in February which makes the city busier than you would think. Outside of the city things happen at a much slower pace and better deals can be found.

For inspiration, check out this post about visiting the north of Iceland in February.

Annual events and festivals in February worth checking out.

Winter Lights Festival: A festival to celebrate the winter and the days getting longer after a period of darkness in abundance. During this festival all kinds of fun events take place all over the city center

Rainbow Reykjavík: A small and friendly winter pride festival organized by the nice folks at Pink Iceland. More intimate than Reykjavík pride in August, which means more chances to meet new friends!

Stockfish Film Festival: This not-for-profit film festival screens up and coming art house films in the world and offers Q&A sessions with international filmmakers and more. Small and friendly and lots of fun.

Reykjavík Bar Summit: A festival where bars and bartenders from all over the world come and compete to determine who is the best.

Tours you might want to consider in February

Northern Lights Tours: Like January, February is a good  time for the northern lights  If you want to try something different from the normal bus tours you might want to check out the Northern Lights Boat Tour from Reykjavík or this tour that combines a hunt for the Northern Lights and a lobster feast.  Speaking of food and the northern lights, the Golden Circle and Magical nights tour combines both with the main sights on the Golden Circle with a bonus dip in Fontana spa. Definitely worth considering.

Ice cave tours: February should be good for the ice cave tours since it ‘s one of the colder months. If you are going to drive around the south coast yourself I recommend this ice cave tour that starts at Hali in Suðursveit. If you are not renting a car I think this 2-day south shore trip including an ice cave tour is a great option and good value for money.

This post is part of a series about the best time to visit Iceland where we go through things to consider before visiting Iceland for each month of the year. All the weather related statistics come from the Icelandic Met Office but the rest is based on our feelings and experience.

26 thoughts on “February in Iceland”

1. Amanda says:

I am visiting Iceland for my second trip in February, last time was in October 2015 so I am looking forward to seeing how different the country looks and feels covered in snow! I guess all the tours are still accessible depending on how bad the weather conditions are?

1. Auður says:

Most tours are available all year round – except the tours that are specific to winter conditions like the northern lights tours or the ice cave tours.

2. Wendy says:

I love February in Iceland. It’s one of my favorite months to visit😊

3. Zoe says:

We are flying into Reykjavik in February, straight from the blistering Australian Summer ….. Going to be a shock to the system! I’m so excited! ! 🌞🌞🛫🛬❄☃

4. Cheryl says:

My birthday is in February also! And I’m coming for my 50 th birthday in 2017! So excited! This will be my first ever trip to Iceland. Can’t wait! Thanks for the blog. I think it would be fun to come back in the summer to see the difference!

1. Auður says:

Are you a fellow aquarian? Happy birthday and enjoy! 🙂

1. Zoe says:

My husband and I are coming in Feb 2017 for his 40th. We are both Aquarians too ♒♒

2. jimmy says:

Hi Cheryl, im planning to travel for my 50th as well, 2/18, if you’re there then let’s meet for a drink, peace, jimmy

1. Lorraine says:

Hi Jimmy and Cheryl; I’m traveling Feb for my 50th as well!! But Feb 2-6. Have a great time!!

5. Captain says:

I am visiting next February, will there be much snow around..? I have visited Latvia in winter. It was very cold 25 celsius below zero, it warmed up to minus 10 one day. Can I expect these conditions?

1. Auður says:

It’s impossible to know, it’s not unlikely that we’ll have snow but it all depends on what kind of winter we have. So far it’s been quite mild.

As for -25°C, you will not experience temperature like that, maybe -10°C at most but you can see averages at the top of this post.

6. Vania says:

I have just booked my trip for late February / early March. So excited!!! I am loving reading your posts!

1. Amar says:

we r going around your time to tour Iceland too. Lets share things that will help us.
      thanx

7. Anj says:

Just an FYI, your rainbow reykjavik link is to .com when it should be .is

Thanks for the info tho! I did find it.

8. Amar says:

We r planning to visit between February 20to 27. Would appreciate you input . We plan to rent a car and also take advantage of the tours available and plan to stay in hotels outside & in Reykjavik.
    Lastly chase the Northern Lights.
    Await your suggestions,

Thanx
    Amar

1. Auður says:

If you want help to plan your trip I suggest you send us an e-mail

9. Anna says:

My birthday (2-27) AND anniversary (2-6) are both in February; my husband and I will be visiting in Feburary with our son and my parents! We are so excited and ready for quite an adventure. I have your walking tour written down as something I want to do and possibly combine with a whale watching tour. We are adventurous and up for all kinds of things, and will dress for the weather. Currently in Chicago it is very very cold; way colder than lowest recorded temps for you guys in February! So we are ready!

1. Auður says:

Iceland is ready for you too!

10. Kathleen says:

I will be heading to Iceland from February 15th-24th, looking forward to it! I can’t wait to see the Northern Lights! *Fingers Crossed*

11. Silke Janssens says:

Just booked my first trip to Iceland in February😊. Can’t wait to visit this beautiful country together with my 10 year old son❄️🌌.

1. Auður says:

I hope the weather cooperates with you 🙂

12. Betty says:

Do you recommend snow boots or sturdy hiking boots for a February visit? I am most concerned about falling.

1. Auður says:

Depends completely on what you are going to be doing while you are here. I usually just wear my hiking shoes for everything but they can be slippery at times in which case I have spikes to put under my shoes. I also have snow boots that I recently purchased and I’ve enjoyed having them for the city as they are a bit cuter than hiking boots.

13. Letita Trejo S. says:

Yo quiero conocer Islandia 🇮🇸 … someday ☺️

14. Marie says:

Ive enjoyed reading your blog and it has inspired me and given me the courage to take my 20 month old to Iceland this coming February! We’re coming all the way from Los Angeles, so this will be a nice taste of real winter for us. We’d love to meet you if feasible! All the best!

1. Auður says:

I’m always fairly busy but you’re welcome to send me an e-mail closer to the date 🙂