How to get from Keflavík International Airport to Reykjavík

Keflavík International Airport is located about 50 km away from Reykjavík and there are various ways to get to and from the airport.

Getting from Keflavík Airport By Rental Car

Most, if not all, of the bigger car rental agencies in Iceland offer pick up in Keflavík for a small fee. The fee is in fact usually so small that if there’s more than two of you, it is cheaper to pay the fee than take the bus to pick up the car in Reykjavík. So if you are renting a car anyway, you should keep that option in mind. Finding the way from Keflavík airport to Reykjavík is quite straight forward but I hear the biggest trouble is finding the way out to the main road. This is something I hear from the guests on my walking tours at least.

If you haven’t booked a rental car already you can check out this deal you can get through my blog.

Getting from Keflavík Airport By Bus

For a long time there was no public bus from Keflavík Airport to Reykjavík but you could either take the Flybus and the Airport Express. They offer similar service for a similar price and although I’ve only used the Flybus I’m sure they are both equally good.  If you are desperate for the internet after a long flight though, The Flybus offers free WiFi on all their buses. Both companies can drop you off at your hotel but the service is included with the Airport Express but you can book it separately on the Flybus.

Nowadays you can also take the public bus from the airport but the schedule is not as good as the Flybus and Airport Express and the savings are not that great that it’s worth it. In my opinion at least plus it takes much longer. There’s also another service, K-Express, which offers cheaper transfers from Keflavík but their schedule is also not as good as the other two.

Getting from Keflavík Airport By Taxi

You don’t have to worry about being ripped off by Taxi drivers in Reykjavík like in some cities around the world. Taxis run by the meter between Reykjavík and Keflavík but sometimes they offer a fixed price which comes to about the same amount as the meter anyway. There is a taxi line outside the arrivals hall but you can also book one in advance.

If you want to book an airport taxi transfer in advance you can do that here. I’m a bit biased when it comes to this option because the company is run by my dad but the service is reliable, he’ll go out of his way to help you with whatever you need and his car is big and comfy. He can also comfortably accommodate wheelchair users.

Alternative methods

If you are broke or you want to want to protest against the evil axis of organized tourism there’s two things you could do to try to skip spending money on a ride to Reykjavík.

First of all, you could try to hitchhike. Hitchhiking is pretty common and safe in Iceland but I don’t know how easy it is to get a ride on this particular route so you might have to walk a long way with all your luggage. Alternatively, you might want to try befriend whoever sits next to you on the plane and if he or she is a local, there’s a good chance their car will be at the airport or that they have a ride waiting for them when you land. People are nice, they might offer you a ride.

26 thoughts on “How to get from Keflavík International Airport to Reykjavík”

1. Jasmine says:

I’ll be in Iceland on a self drive tour around the country in May so this info (and the rest of the website) comes in handy. Thank you!

2. I heart Reykjavík says:

I’m glad you find it useful :)

3. Halli Gunn says:

Booking a taxi from Keflavik airport to Reykjavik is a very convenient to start your visit to Iceland.

4. Josh says:

Hi, I just booked a solo travel to Iceland in September for two weeks. I somehow stumbled upon to this page and been reading your wonderful posts. Your insights will come very handy for my planning and I cannot wait!!

1. lindsay says:

5. Glenn says:

I highly recommend not taking a taxi. It costs around $120 to get to Reykjavik from the airport when you could be spending less than $20 on the flybus. Big mistake, and now we have less money to spend on drinks!!

6. winny says:

Im supported u in bigblog excahnge and voted for ya,,
    would like u drop into my blog

-Greeting from Indonesia-

7. Angelina says:

Hi there. I found this company online, but it’s not mentioned here. Do you know if it’s legit and reliable to us us to the airport? Thanks!

1. Auður says:

It didn’t exist when I wrote this post. I don’t know anything about them except I’ve seen their buses and they seem to be a little on the older side (which doesn’t have to be bad). I haven’t seen them in a while though. I don’t actually know whether they are still in business but I don’t see anything on the website to suggest otherwise.

8. Maggie says:

A lot of car rentals have optional coverage for things like gravel protection, would you recommend getting that? Thank you!

1. Auður says:

I don’t know about the gravel protection, it depends on where you are going. I would personally take the SCDW basically just because if something happens it significantly lowers the amount you have to pay.

9. Looks like the link for FlyBus should now be – thanks this article was very useful

1. Auður says: still works, it redirects to the page on the RE site. It’s better to use that link because they will always redirect that but they might change the actual link.

1. Well it’s true that works but what’s coded in the blog entry is which uses port 443 and not port 80 this link hits a invalid certificate so does not work –

1. Auður says:

Ahhh gotcha! Thanks, I’ve fixed it now. :)

10. maureen says:

1. Auður says:

Extra insurance that lowers the self-reliability considerably. So if something happens to the car you might still have to pay but you won’t have to pay the full amount.

11. Kathy says:

Do you know if I have to book a ticket for one of those busses? Or can I pay directly in the bus?
    btw your blog is really helpful!

1. Auður says:

You have to buy a ticket inside the airport before you go to the buses – at least for the Flybus and Airport express, don’t know about K-Express.

12. Peter Ibbotson says:

I’m wondering, what would be the fastesr/cheapest way to Mount Esja and how difficult is it to climb?
    I’d be getting in at midnight, so I’m hoping buses, ect are still around.

1. Auður says:

There are no buses to Esja at midnight, the buses run here from around 7 or so to midnight. You could rent a car if you want to go straight to Esja or just go there the next morning.

13. Peter Ibbotson says:

Is there anything close by to the airport, that is worthwhile doing or seeing or maybe a nice restaurant?
    Thanks for your help mate

14. Lisa says:

I am coming to Iceland in November for a solo trip. Any advice for a woman alone in Iceland? I am so excited I can’t stand myself.

1. Auður says:

No, there’s nothing to worry about. You can check out this post:

15. Jesselyn Lim says:

Hi just to clarify there’s no need to pre-book the flybus or airport express bus before arrival? Thank you

1. Auður says:

You don’t need to pre-book no but it’s easier and you don’t have to wait in line if you book it in advance. You can also buy a ticket for the flybus on board Icelandair flights.