Tip of the day: Buy the Reykjavík Welcome Card!

Today I have a tip for you: Buy the Reykjavík Welcome Card. Why? Because it’s affordable and it gives you free access to a number of great museums around Reykjavík and all the city pools. You also get discounts of various goods and services which is never a bad thing.

I’ve thought about buying similar cards in other cities but after careful consideration I’ve always thought they are not worth the money. I always thought this was the case with this particular card as well but as much as I hate to admit it, I may have been wrong.

You can buy your Reykjavík Welcome Card at the Reykjavík Tourist Information in Aðalstræti

The Reykjavík Welcome Card gives you free admission to the following places and services:

– Strætó City Buses  – Reykjavik Art Museum – Asmundarsafn
 – Reykjavík City Thermal Pools  – Reykjavik 871 +/-2 Settlement Exhibition
 – National Museum of Iceland  – Árbæjarsafn, The Reykjavík City Museum
 – The Culture House  – The Reykjavík Maritime Museum – Víkin
 – Reykjavik Art Museum – Hafnarhus  – Reykjavík Family park and farm animal zoo
 – Reykjavik Art Museum – Kjarvalsstadir  – The ferry to Viðey Island

The 24 hour card costs 1900 ISK, the 48 hours card 2400 ISK and the 72 hours card 2900 ISK. Obviously the 72 hour card is the best deal but the 24 hour card is pretty decent as well.

If you think about the fact that a single fare with Strætó is 350 ISK and the admission to the city pools is 450 ISK, the 24 hour card almost pays for itself with a visit to Laugardalur swimming pool from the downtown area and the bus rides back and forth.

Talking the talk and walking the walk

Today I bought one of these Welcome cards and visted Hafnarhús, Víkin Maritime Museum and the Settlement Exhibition with a friend of mine. It was a lovely day. I’ll be telling you more about these individual museums in a separate post but we both agreed that for museum lovers, history buffs and the arty types – the Reykjavík Welcome Card is the way to go.

Update: March 22nd 2014

You can now get the Reykjavík Welcome Card as an extra if you book one of my Reykjavík Walking Tours. The tours go daily at 10am from Hallgrímskirkja (advance booking is needed since there is limited availability) and you will get the card ready to use at the end of your tour. That way I can also help you if you’re not sure about where stuff is.

13 thoughts on “Tip of the day: Buy the Reykjavík Welcome Card!”

1. Bradley says:

This is a great post!

I think it’s also worth noting that having the welcome card will save someone from having to withdraw and change small amounts of money, and fumbling for foreign change when boarding the bus or visiting the locations it gives entry to.

Granted, everywhere I went in Reykjavik accepted credit cards, but it would be so much simpler to have a pass like this for the most popular destinations.

2. I heart Reykjavík says:

That’s a good point Bradley – the buses don’t accept cards or give change!

3. Siucra says:

i just read this now! Doh! However, I am finding lots of free wifi around so that’s making up for it! The national museum was great – I’m glad I did it first to give me more of an insight the ‘rock’ as you call it!

4. Does the welcome card start from a given time or from when you begin to use it.

1. Auður says:

The seller is supposed to fill in the time for when it’s valid – usually when you buy it. But you can tell them if you don’t intend to use it right away.
      I know they are working on an electric version, hopefully that will make these things easier

5. Michelle says:

Can the welcome card be used for bus transport to and from the airport?

1. Auður says:

No, the welcome card can only be used on the city buses within Reykjavík.

1. Michelle says:

Do I need to book transport FROM Airport to Hostel ahead or can I just jump on a FlyBus last minute? Is it cheaper to buy ahead?

1. Auður says:

There’s no difference in the price but if you buy it online in advance you don’t have to wait in line at the airport and you can just go on the next available bus. Which is nice.

1. Yana says:

That’s not true: buying online saves you about 400-500 kronas vs. Buying at the airport on the spot at the desk- I found it out hard way waiting for the next shuttle yesterday (I used free airport wi-fi thinking I’ll just go ahead and buy online cheaper than what was quoted at the desk).However, they don’t sell it online on the day of. So, if you haven’t prepurchased it in advance, you’ll end up paying higher price.

2. Auður says:

At the time this was true.

6. Maria says:

Could you tell me where I could buy the card online? I would like to give it to some friends who are going to Reykjavik on their honeymoon, but have found it impossible to buy it online so far!!